1. Please smile as if you are enjoying your performance - If your 'story' or indeed costume ! doesn't warrant a smile then please add one in at the end of your performance - when you bow and say your 'thank you for watching'
So many performers show their nerves and not their passion for dance and the pole
2. POSTURE & ALIGNMENT This one you will know !!
But please if this is a problem of yours say it over and over again in your head during your performance
'POINT YOUR TOES Extend your limbs'
3. MUSIC - Feel your music from within
It certainly shows if you don't - if in any doubt don't use a song - It's not the right choice if you have doubts - and never let someone else pick your music
4. CLOTHING - Costumes costumes costumes ! Yes it takes time, effort AND money
An important part of competition preparation
Understand and read the rules then go for maximum effect possible, according to each competition criteria
EVERY point counts these days
Find out about the stage and stage backing too
5. ROUTINE- Good routines are made up of many different elements
It's not just about tricks tricks tricks
You are better off doing intermediate tricks exceptionally well than advance tricks poorly!
6. FLEXIBILITY & STRETCH Focus on your flexibility - This is such an important part of modern pole routines
This means correct preparation warm ups and cool downs not only on the day of the completion but the weeks before and weeks after!
Refer to no. 2
7. EMOTION & EYE CONTACT - Engage with your audience and judges
This is simple and can be done with eye contact, facial expressions and hands reaching towards them, pulling them back into your body and your performance and emotion
8. CONTROL YOUR BREATHING - Breathe!
An excellent performance not only leaves the performer breathless but the judges AND audience too
Give all the power and energy you have got
9. ATTENTION TO DETAIL - It's the little details that matter too
Practice and get someone truthful to critique your performance - get them to find 10 things for you to improve on !
10. TRANSITIONS - Transitions in, out, around, up, down and from pole to pole
Just as important as your tricks !
Most importantly remember the qualities of an excellent performer are very different to that of an excellent instructor
The skills and mindset are very different
And remember every challenge is a growth in an upward step
Kay Penney POLE PASSION BLOGGER